Tenby Royal Victoria Pier
Built in 1897, the pier was extended and opened in 1899 by the
Duchess of York, accompanied by the Duke of Connaught, in the
unavoidable absence of the Duke of York. It consisted of steel
arches joining a seaward end landing stage.
Officially named the Royal Victoria Pier, it was a calling place
for steamers from other piers and resorts in South Wales, North
Devon and Somerset. The landing stage was 200 feet long and
available at all states of the tide.
During the summer, band concerts were given on the pier-head and
the pier became a very popular angling centre.
It was demolished between 1946 and 1953, having fallen into
disrepair during World War II. Ornate railings from the pier were
relocated in the nearby Croft Gardens.
There is, however, still a maritime structure on the site of the
old Royal Victoria Pier as Tenby's new lifeboat station, completed
in March 2005, was built where the pier originally stood.